The Temple Chamber of Commerce recently received a Temple Historic Marker from the Temple Historic Preservation Committee. The marker was presented to the Chamber Board of Directors on February 27, 2020.
According to the City of Temple’s website, the Temple Historic Marker Program is a project of the Temple Historic Preservation Committee. The Committee created the program to recognize Temple’s many historic landmarks, businesses, and organizations, and to instill a sense of community pride.
The City of Temple, established in 1881, was built by innovators and visionaries, is deeply rooted in history, yet driven by progress. Many citizens, including the Temple Historic Preservation Committee, keep a grasp on their roots and work diligently to preserve the history of the city. They recognize historic treasures while preserving their stories for future generations.
“What an honor to receive a Temple Historic Marker,” noted Drayton McLane III, Chair of the Chamber Board of Directors. “The Chamber has played an integral role in Temple’s development and leadership.”
Founded as the Temple Commercial Club in 1907, the Chamber is not part of the City of Temple or Bell County Government, nor is it a political party or social club. It is a voluntary 501(c)(6) not-for-profit organization with professional staff and a skilled volunteer Board of Directors. The volunteer Board of Directors donates their time, resources, and expertise to improve the community and promote economic growth and stability.
From its beginning, the Temple Chamber of Commerce has welcomed all business owners, professionals, and anyone involved in trade and commerce. The idea was simple, as announced at the first meeting: There was “strength in numbers and cooperation.”
The Temple Chamber has a rich history that began with paving downtown sidewalks and streets for shoppers in 1909. Throughout the organization’s 113-year history, it was part of numerous landmark projects that contributed to Temple’s heritage, growth, development, and improvement.
Some of those projects include securing the Blackland Experiment Station; creation of Temple College; negotiations for Fort Hood becoming a permanent installation in Bell County; the VA locating in Temple; creation of Lake Belton; location of Interstate 35; creation of the Temple Christmas Parade; and creation of Bloomin’ Temple.
“The Chamber is proud of our history and the role the organization has played in the economic vitality of our region,” noted Rod Henry, Chamber President. “Due to our forefathers, the Chamber can effectively serve the business community, and we are grateful.”